July 14, 2008

Take That, Bill Cosby!



Step away from the Jell-O box...

Yup, Dorie's chocolate pudding is darn good. This week's TWD recipe was chosen by Melissa of It's Melissa's Kitchen. You can find the recipe there. Full disclosure: I haven't made pudding from a box since I was a kid. In my 20's, it was all chocolate mousse, all the time because I had to be fahncy and frawnch about my cooking. Later on, I came to appreciate good old fashioned desserts and made a slew of chocolate puddings, rice puddings, tapioca puddings, butterscotch puddings...you get the picture. So for the last 5 years or so, my standard chocolate pudding has been the one in Richard Sax's Classic Home Desserts. Dorie's recipe is almost identical in terms of ingredients & proportions, with the one difference being bittersweet chocolate instead of semisweet -- a great improvement. And of course there's her use of the food processor, which is a tad messy but makes an exceptionally smooth pudding.

The recipe is really easy so I don't have much to say about the process. The result is super yummy, rich, smooth, and everything a chocolate pudding should be.

We tried it first with unsweetened creme fraiche, as per Dorie's suggestion. But neither one of us was crazy about it. Kittydad said it was too sour in contrast to the sweet pudding, and I had to agree, as much as I love creme fraiche. It's better either just as is or with lightly sweetened whipped cream with a touch of vanilla added. I put on some cacao nibs to disguise my messy spoon-blobbing method of topping with whipped cream, as I was too lazy to get out the pastry bag. This adds a nice crunch but they also tend to be fairly bitter so I'm not sure I'd do it again.

Between the pudding and the NY Times chocolate chip cookies that I also made this weekend, I'm feeling a wee bit over-chocolatified and am looking forward to next week's cherry rhubarb cobbler challenge. I'll be posting about the cookies soon, but let me just say that you should get that dough in your fridge soon if you want to taste a bit of cookie heaven!

4 comments:

hoagiefest 2020 said...

Yeah! Stick it to Bill Cosby!

I'm a bit overchocolate-afied myself. I look forward to seeing what you do with next week's cobbler!

Sorry for the nutritional information, by the way. I'll look into an "after the cut" kind of thing just for you :-p

Anonymous said...

Mike, No need to apologize! Hey, it's your blog after all and I'm sure the nutritional info will have some benefit for my waistline. I just might not look at it until after I've eaten a few portions, k?

Bungalow Barbara said...

Chocolate made a nice change, but I'm glad to go back to fruit for a while, too.

Judy said...

Hi! I'm new to TWD also. Your pudding looks great.